|resources:||Home Installation Source Bugs Screenshots Roadmap RGTP URLs|
- 2004-01-01: Release of 0.5.0
- 2003-03-12: Release of 0.4.3
- 2003-03-11: Release of 0.4.1
- 2003-02-03: Release of 0.2.0
- 2003-01-25: Added roadmap
- 2002-11-03: Release of 0.1.0
- 2002-10-29: Creation of archangel.mozdev.org
- 2002-10-27: Initial archangel release (0.0.1, 0.0.2)
Archangel: an RGTP client for Mozilla
Archangel lets you browse RGTP bulletin boards (such as GROGGS at Cambridge University) from within Mozilla. The protocol Archangel uses is:
- secure: users are cryptographically identified.
- centralised: all discussion is held on one server under the control of nominated editors.
- linear: the item format helps regulate thread drift.
- mature: it has been in regular use for over eight years.
There are several other RGTP clients available, for many platforms, and a free RGTP server is under development. Feedback about Archangel is welcome, either on GROGGS (item R2990216 is a good place to start) or by sending email to "archangel at marnanel dot org".
Archangel also serves as a simple demonstration of adding new protocols to Mozilla which is a little more in-depth than the "finger" example on Mozilla's site. However, it's not yet very beautiful or elegant, and there are many things I don't fully understand yet. The code does work, though.
Archangel is currently still under development. If you'd like to play with an early release, please continue to "how to install."