|resources:||Home Installation Source Bugs Screenshots Roadmap RGTP URLs|
Archangel is still under development, so don't expect anything to work. This software is currently only provided for testing. It has only been tested under Firebird, not classic Mozilla ("Seamonkey"). Please let me know about your installation successes and failures.
How to install:
- Read the General Public Licence, under which Archangel is distributed, and agree to its terms.
- Start Mozilla. If you're running under Unix, you must start Mozilla as root the time you install Archangel. You're installing new software, after all. (The only exception is when Moz was installed under your own UID-- but if this applies to you, you probably already know about it.)
- Then return to this page, and install Archangel by clicking on this picture:
- Then restart Mozilla as an ordinary user. (Unix users shouldn't attempt to use Archangel as root, not only for the ordinary security reasons, but also because it messes up cache file ownership.)
- Mozilla will now understand the "rgtp" protocol.
The first time you run Archangel, it will need to download the whole RGTP index from the server. For a large server, such as GROGGS, this may take several minutes. At present, Archangel prints status messages while it's doing this to standard output. (Sooner or later, we'll add a status dialogue.) This only needs to be done once, and it'll happen automatically the first time you connect to a server. Other than the status messages, Mozilla will appear to lock up.
Get started by trying one of these addresses:
rgtp://rgtp-serv.groggs.group.cam.ac.uk/index (the main GROGGS server)
rgtp://rgtp-serv.groggs.group.cam.ac.uk:1432/index (the test GROGGS server, which will be faster to load, but contains test junk instead of discussions)
Many thanks to Firinel for the photograph.